Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cell Phones a.ka. Mini Computer on your hip..Good or Bad??

Technology: Pro or a Con?

Do you remember when your phone rang during dinner and you said let it ring, or they will call back. Well it isn’t like that anymore. People are always available and are able to be reached. We have Pagers (who uses those anymore?) we have cell phones, were we can access via email, chat, IM, facebook, web cam, or some social network.

People don’t go on vacation anymore with out still being able to send an email from the mini computer they carry on their hip.

Is this a good thing or not? In my opinion it is both. I like it because when I am sitting with my boyfriend watching Terminator Salvation, Blade II, or some other movie for the 10th time, I can still be in the same room as him…and boom…I am seeing my sport scores, following the weather, or just socially networking with my friends. Then this raises another question…Does this mean I am not spending time with him? Does this mean that I am rude? Is it still spending time with him if I am in the same room searching the web from my handy little device? This is one of those issues that I am sure is going to have all kinds of different opinions.

Here is mine. I think there is a balance. I think that a movie should be on that we both like and I think a little bit of it is ok…If your eyes are glued to it and you don’t even remember what your partner said to you 3 minutes ago, cause your so wrapped up in what John Doe said on his facebook status….This is when I think there should be a rule or two put in place.

I believe that a con to this is, it keeps people and families that have 1000’s of miles of distance and large body’s of water between them, I believe this can be an easy way to stay close knit as a family and you can stay connected.

Would love to hear your opinion…

A City Girl in the City Lights

2 comments:

  1. Great subject, Lindsay! I agree with you... I think our modern technology (connectivity) should be used with BALANCE! I love being connected with people like everybody else. However, when I'm spending time with someone, I also want them to spend time with ME. Balance would mean that we don't always have to answer that call or text, when we get one. Generally speaking, alot of people don't seem to realize that when you always have to answer your phone, that that can communicate that the person you are spending time with is NOT important. And it can also be downright rude! Hope alot of folks read your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Country Soaper, I know how you feel and I myself have been guilty as well. It is finding that balance! Balance can sometimes be hard to find. I am learning. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete